Sanjay Lall is Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering in the Information Systems Laboratory and Associate Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics at Stanford University. He received a B.A. degree in Mathematics with first-class honors in 1990 and a Ph.D. degree in Engineering in 1995, both from the University of Cambridge, England. His research group focuses on the development of advanced engineering methodologies for the design of control, optimization and signal processing algorithms which occur in a wide variety of electrical, mechanical and aerospace systems. Before joining Stanford he was a Research Fellow at the California Institute of Technology in the Department of Control and Dynamical Systems, and prior to that he was a NATO Research Fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems. He was also a visiting scholar at Lund Institute of Technology in the Department of Automatic Control. He has significant industrial experience applying advanced algorithms to problems including satellite systems at Lockheed Martin, advanced audio systems at Sennheiser, Formula 1 racing, and integrated circuit diagnostic systems, in addition to several startup companies. Professor Lall has served as Associate Editor for the journal Automatica, on the steering and program committees of several international conferences, and as a reviewer for the National Science Foundation, DARPA, and the Air Force Office of Scientific Research. He is the author of over 130 peer-refereed publications.
- O. Hugo Schuck Best Paper Award, American Control Conference, 2013
- Best student paper, IEEE International Conference on Power System Technology, 2012
- Plenary speaker, CSL student conference, Illinois, 2011
- Plenary speaker, Northeast Control Workshop, 2010
- Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), 2007
- George S. Axelby Outstanding Paper Award, 2007
- NSF Career award, 2007
- National Academy of Engineering's Frontiers of Engineering Program, 2007
- Vance D. and Arlene C. Coffman Faculty Scholar, 2007
- Semi-plenary speaker, International Workshop on Operator Theory and Applications, 2006
- Best student paper, IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2005
- Graduate service recognition award, Stanford University, 2005
- Plenary speaker, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, 2004
- NATO postdoctoral fellow, 1995.
- Keller prize, Jesus college, Cambridge, 1987-1990.
- Spencer Jones prize for mathematics, Jesus college, Cambridge, 1990.
- Ware prize for mathematics, Jesus college, Cambridge, 1989.
- EE464 Semidefinite Optimization and Algebraic Techniques
- Engr207a Linear Control Systems 1
- Engr207b Linear Control Systems 2
- Engr207c Linear Control Systems 3
- Engr210a Robust Control Analysis and Synthesis
- Engr210b Advanced Topics in Computation for Control
- Engr210c Introduction to Stochastic Control
Decentralized Control of Linear Systems
- Optimal Controller Synthesis for the Decentralized Two-Player Problem with Output Feedback. Lessard and Lall, 2012.This paper was awarded the O. Hugo Schuck award for the best paper at the American Control Conference, 2012.
- Optimal Control of Two-Player Systems with Output Feedback. Lessard and Lall, 2014.This is the journal version of the Schuck paper. In addition to the synthesis results it contains much more on stabilization, realization and estimation.
- An Explicit State-Space Solution for a Decentralized Two-Player Optimal Linear-Quadratic Regulator. Swigart and Lall, 2010.This was the first paper we wrote providing a solution to a class of sparsity-constrained problems.
Model reductionWe addressed several problems in the area of model reduction, looking at linear dynamical systems, Markov chains, and Lagrangian systems.
- Model reduction, optimal prediction, and the Mori-Zwanzig representation of Markov chains. Beck, Lall, Liang and West, 2009
- Structure-Preserving Model Reduction for Mechanical Systems. Lall, Krysl and Marsden, 2003
- Error Bounds for Balanced Model Reduction of Linear Time-Varying Systems. Lall and Beck, 2003
- A Subspace Approach to Balanced Truncation for Model Reduction of Nonlinear Control Systems. Lall, Marsden and Glavaski, 2002
- Fast Algorithms for Resource Allocation in Wireless Cellular Networks. Madan, Boyd and Lall, 2010
- Modeling and Optimization of Transmission Schemes in Energy Constrained Wireless Sensor Networks. Madan, Cui, Lall and Goldsmith, 2007
- Cross-layer Energy and Delay Optimization in Small-scale Sensor Networks. Cui, Madan, Goldsmith and Lall, 2007
- Cross-Layer Design for Lifetime Maximization in Interference-Limited Wireless Sensor Networks. Madan, Cui, Lall and Goldsmith, 2006
- Distributed Algorithms for Maximum Lifetime Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks. Madan and Lall, 2006
- An Energy-Optimal Algorithm for Neighbor Discovery in Wireless Sensor Networks. Madan and Lall, 2006
- Experimental validation of single-iteration multigrid wavefront reconstruction at the Palomar Observatory. Lessard, MacMynowski, West, Bouchez and Lall, 2008
- Warm-started Wavefront Reconstruction for Adaptive Optics. Lessard, West, MacMynowski and Lall, 2008
- Jeffrey Wu, Sufficient statistics for team decision problems, 2013
- Chung-Ching Chang, Decentralized control and the analysis of electrical distribution systems, 2013
- Jong-Han Kim, Separable problems in optimal cooperative control of networked systems, 2012
- Laurent Lessard, Tractability of complex control systems, 2011
- Hyung Sik Shin, An algebraic geometry based approach to decentralized control, 2011
- John Swigart, Optimal controller synthesis for decentralized systems, 2010
- Randy Cogill, Approximation algorithms in stochastic control, 2007
- Ta-Chung Wang, Polynomial level-set methods for nonlinear dynamics and control, 2007
- Been-Der Chen, Control and verification of distributed systems on graphs, 2006
- Ritesh Madan, Resource allocation algorithms for energy efficient wireless networks, 2006
- Matthew Peet, Stability and control of functional differential equations, 2006
- Michael Rotkowitz, Tractable problems in optimal decentralized control, 2005
- Pat Oshiro, email@example.com, 650-723-2681
- Sherann Ellsworth, firstname.lastname@example.org, 650-723-3389
- Dana Parga, email@example.com, 650-723-3775
- Professor Sanjay Lall
- Stanford University
- Packard Building
- Mail Code 9505
- 350 Serra Mall
- Stanford, CA 94305